Orion Mountaineers Youth Shooting Team
Michigan Shooting Centers has a youth shooting team – the Orion Mountaineers. The Mountaineers program is based out of our Lake Orion location – Bald Mountain Shooting Range – and coached by Drew Lieske.
The team has sanctioned practices once-weekly from March through the end of June. Practices are from 5:00pm – 7:00pm on Wednesdays.
The Orion Mountaineers is a Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP) team that is primarily sporting clays focused. That being said, athletes also have the opportunity to learn and participate in skeet and trap.
Cost to participate for the 2021 season is $500.00. This fee covers ammunition and targets for all 15 weeks of practice (50 cartridges and 50 clays per week from March 17th through the end of June), individual athlete registration with the SCTP (Scholastic Clay Target Program), and a team gear kit.
The 2021 team will plan to participate in the following competitions:
- SCTP SE Conference Championship – May 15, 2021 @ Detroit Sportsmen’s Congress, Utica, MI
- SCTP State Championship – June 19 & 20, 2021 @ Detroit Gun Club, Commerce, MI
WHAT IS THE SCTP?
The SCTP is a national youth clay target shooting program focused on “team”! There is no room for the win at all cost attitude. The SSSF or Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation implements this program. Currently, the SCTP has over 20,000 athletes/coaches across the country participating in the program encompassing 47 states. The National SCTP Championship hosts more than 1,800 athletes and their families each year.
SCTP PROGRAM GOALS:
- Teach the safe and responsible handling and use of firearms.
- Provide a supportive team-based environment using the shooting sports as the catalyst for teaching life lessons and skills that emphasize positive character traits and citizenship values.
- Introduce young shooters to a sport that can be enjoyed for a lifetime, one that offers a level playing field, and one that offers all family members an opportunity to enjoy together.
The SCTP offers participation in the American disciplines of Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. SCTP also offers the Olympic disciplines of Bunker Trap, Trap Doubles and International Skeet.