Bald Mountain Shooting Range – An Overview
Located on just over 130 acres in Lake Orion, Bald Mountain offers a wide array of target shooting opportunities. You’ll find the seclusion of Bald Mountain warm, welcoming and peaceful!
- Sporting Clays – Often called “golf with a shotgun,” sporting clays is a fun and rapidly growing sport. Targets are launched in many different directions, some in the air and some rolling on the ground. Island Lake has three sporting clays courses, two 14 station courses and one 5 station beginner’s course.
- 5-Stand– Like sporting clays, but condensed. Targets are shot in rounds of 25 in five stands, with each shooter rotating from station to station. Targets are thrown in a predetermined pattern indicated on a menu. 5-Stand uses six to eight machines.
- Rifle & Pistol Range – Our rifle/pistol range has 35 positions at distances from 5 yards to 100 yards. All types of firearms may be used with the exceptions of .416 Barrett, .50 BMG (Browning Machine Gun), Tracer Rounds, and Armor Piercing Rounds.
- Archery Range – The archery range at Bald Mountain Shooting Range is a great spot to tune in your bow before deer and turkey season as well as for practicing competitive archery shooting. Both stationary cube targets as well as some 3D animal targets are available. Bring out the whole family for some fun and relax-full target shooting at Bald Mountain’s archery shooting range. No broad-heads are allowed on the range.
- Gun Store – Bald Mountain is home to the Michigan Shooting Centers Firearm Store. With hundreds of firearms in-stock, the gun store at Bald Mountain has something for everyone. We sell: Kolar Arms, Blaser, Beretta, Benelli, Browning, Caesar Guerini, Fabarm, Franchi, Sig Sauer, Glock, Smith & Wesson, H&K, CZ, and Dan Wesson. You will also find a wide assortment of used firearms in-stock.
Bald Mountain Shooting Range is located in Orion Twp. 6 miles north of I-75 exit #81 (M-24 / The Palace of Auburn Hills). If coming from the south traveling north on M-24, take a right onto Greenshield Road (you will see Home Depot and G’s Pizzeria), drive 1 1/2 miles, and then take a left onto Kern Road. You will then see the range entrance a few hundred yards on your left. If coming from the north traveling south on M-24, you will need to pass Greenshield Road while on M-24, take a Michigan u-turn, and then proceed using the above directions.
Sporting clays is a form of clay pigeon shooting, often described as “golf with a shotgun” because a typical course includes from 10 to 15 different shooting stations laid out over natural terrain. Sporting clays offers a great variety of trajectories, angles, speeds, elevations, distances, and target sizes. Eye-twisting target presentations, as well as the variety of models of clay targets make the sport extremely interesting, each station presents you with a whole new experience!
All of the sporting clays courses at Michigan Shooting Centers operate using a TargetKey counting system, which count how many clays you launch and allows shooters to utilize any combination of the clay target presentations – whether it be singles, reports or true pairs. The system also offers a delay feature for individual shooters.
The sporting clays venues at Bald Mountain Shooting Range include three separate courses, known as the “Ridge,” the “Upland” and the “Executive”. Spread across nearly 150 acres, our three courses at Bald Mountain feature a combined total of 33 stations and 94 automatic clay target throwers.
5-Stand is very similar to sporting clays in that a wide variety of clay targets are thrown. There are five “stands” or stations to shoot from. There are usually somewhere between six and eight traps that throw the twenty-five targets. Participants shoot in turn at each of the five stands and various combinations of targets are thrown from the traps.
A menu card, with the availability of at least four levels of difficulty, advises the shooter of the sequence of targets. Five-Stand is a great way to get a sporting clays-like experience in a small amount of time and walking distance. Bald Mountain Shooting Range has two 5-stands, one of which is always operational on a daily basis.
Rifle and Pistol Range
Whether you are sighting in your rifle for opening day or introducing your granddaughter to your old 22 rifle, you’ll feel at home and safe on our rifle and pistol ranges. We are known for having one of the largest, safest and best run public outdoor rifle and pistol shooting ranges in the state of Michigan.
At our rifle and pistol ranges, you’ll find black powder and bench rest enthusiasts, experts and novices alike enjoying their deer rifles and defensive handguns, single shots and the latest modern auto loaders. Trained range personnel are always on hand to assist with problems, to give advice and to make sure that the range and safety rules are strictly enforced for everyone’s safety.
Both have the availability of steel reactive targets on designated steel shooting nights, check our calendar for details. Positions are available at 25, 50 and 100 yards. Portable targets are additionally available free of charge to bring targets even closer than 25 yards.
Bald Mountain Shooting Range is home to the Michigan Shooting Centers Firearm Store. With hundreds of firearms in-stock, the gun store at Bald Mountain has something for everyone. We are a full-line new gun dealer for: Kolar Arms, Blaser, Beretta, Benelli, Browning, Caesar Guerini, Fabarm, Franchi, Sig Sauer, Glock, Smith & Wesson, H&K, CZ, and Dan Wesson.
You will also find a wide assortment of used firearms in-stock. Lay-a-way is offered in addition to trade-ins and consignment. Search our inventory online and be sure to browse around the next time you are in the clubhouse at Bald Mountain Shooting Range